Artwork by more than 1,000 Central New York students has been shortlisted for awards at the 2022 CNY Scholastic Art Awards, sponsored by M&T Bank and hosted by Onondaga Community College.
Thousands of students from 14 central New York counties submitted artwork for consideration.
In total, students submitted over 4,600 pieces. A panel of 40 judges, made up of art professionals, judged the pieces and selected 1,103 works for the Golden Key, Silver Key and Honorable Mention awards.
Gold Key winners will be entered into a national competition in the spring. Many have received cash prizes and other recognition.
About 1,300 pieces will be on display at Onondaga Community College’s Whitney Applied Technology Center through March 4.
The Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse will also be showing selected works from March 12 through April 10. A virtual awards ceremony is scheduled for mid-February. Information about the ceremony will be available on the CNY Scholastic Art Updates page, www.artandwriting.org/regions/NY003A
In addition to student awards, other honors included school district and teacher recognition. Phoenix received the 2022 School District Recognition Award and Katie Sullivan of New Hartford Central School received the Teacher Inspiration Award.
For a complete list of Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention winners by school district, click here.
You can view the Gold Key winners’ collections using the links below and view the special rewards under the links:
Purcell Construction Corp. Award for the best work in architecture and industrial design
- Ava Aupperle, Marcellus High School
The Sage Scholars Educational Foundation Awards
- Best work in engraving – Michael Bestul, LaFayette Junior-Senior High School
- Best Work in Digital Art – Jennifer Dong, Fayetteville-Manlius High School
- Best Junior High 2-D Artwork – Jennifer Daum, Union Springs College
- Best Junior High 3-D Artwork – Victoria Colucci, Whitesboro College
Newhouse Scholarships in Visual Communication
- Photography – Aum Patel, Fayetteville-Manlius High School
- Design – Ella Revette, Chittenango High School
Clayscapes Pottery Award – Best Work in Ceramics and Glass, Creative Design
- Hannah Cooley, Carthage High School
Independent Potters’ Association of CNY Award – Best Work in Ceramics and Glass, Functional Design
- Averi Durantini, East Syracuse Minoa Central High School
John D. Barrow Art Gallery Award for Best Portrait in the Drawing or Painting Categories
- Madison Houppert, Lowville High School
Tracy L. Haylor Craft Award
- Sydney Scanlon, Homer High School
Ron Hellmann Photography Award for Best Picture
- Giavanna Salvatore, North Syracuse High School
Syracuse Cultural Workers – Peace and Justice Award
- Caitlin Sacco, CW Baker High School, Baldwinsville
The Art Store Award for Best Painting
- Laura Scalzetti, Fayetteville-Manlius High School
The Art Store Award for Best Drawing
- Kendall Chambers, Tully Junior-Senior High School
American Visions Awards, sponsored by The Print Hub Syracuse, awarding “Best of Show” of all Gold Key artwork,
- Emma Miedaner, Jamesville-Dewitt High School
- Laura Scalzetti, Fayetteville-Manlius High School, for two plays
- Nick Trivelpiece, Manlius Pebble Hill School
- Bryn Whitman, Auburn High School
Light Work Award for Best Photographic Portfolio
- Madeline Demand, Chittenango High School
Onondaga Community College Award for Best Fine Art Portfolio
- Mellina Desilvio, Henninger High School